Today we’ll be looking at some great 215 55r16 tires in 3 fields. All-season, summer and winter tires will be looked at today and we’ll see what they’re best at individually and if it suits your needs. We’ve got some big dogs like Michelin, Goodyear, and Firestone and some underdogs like Yokohama and Continental. Hopefully this article will allow you to consider what might be best for your car (providing you still want a 215/55r16 tire) and it’ll depend on factors such as what kind of climate and road conditions you live in, as well as how and what you drive. Let’s see what we have here today.
Top 3 All-Season 215 55r16 Tires
1. Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
The ExtremeContact is a high performance, all season radial tire. To say it was made for sports cars, coupes and sedans it packs a lot of performance into it. Versatility and performance, good start for an underdog right?
- Silica-Enhanced tread. Firmness and pliability when needed.
- Chamfered edges extend the tread-life and improve traction
- DWS indicator. When S is gone, only safe for dry and wet. When W is gone only safe for dry.
If you love performance, this may not be the best choice, but even then it’d still be a relatively good one.Purchase Tire on Amazon
2. Goodyear Eagle GT – All Season Tire
This tire is all about performance. This tire is used by professional racing teams and it has a lot of good features, both noticeable and subtle ones that work in its favor.
- Performance oriented. It’s great if you like a good speed for the conditions you’re in.
- Good amount of water evacuation. This is a godsend for winter.
- Professionals choose this for its internal structure
Although it’s great on performance, there’s nothing to suggest a very long tread-life, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one. I’d say it could very well be a good get.Purchase Tire on Amazon
3. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus
Made for the likes of minivans and small crossovers, this tire seems to have a lot of utility going for it. It’s versatile and could well save you some money on your fuel bill, thanks to some design improvements over your run-of-the-mill all season tire.
- Reduced roll resistance and energy loss, good for fuel bills
- Proficient in dry, wet and snow terrains while being its best in colder climates.
- Good level of water evacuation.
Although a good utility piece, it doesn’t seem to have the higher level of performance that seem people are after.Purchase Tire on Amazon
Top 2 Summer 215 55r16 Tires
1. Firestone Firehawk AS
This is an incredible performance tire that is used in well-known racing events. Firestone has out-done themselves with this tire being incredibly fast which is owed in part to the level of traction it has.
- One of the best performance summer tires around. Very Nice!
- High angle grooves help this tire to avoid aquaplaning.
- Amazing level of traction.
Don’t use this tire in the winter or in snowy conditions. Although it’s one of the best summer tires, the level of safety drops in the winter. All in all, you can’t fault it for a summer tire.Purchase Tire on Amazon
2. Yokohama S.DRIVE
One of the underdogs of today’s review, the S.Drive does seem to be somewhat outgunned. But is it outmatched?
- Proficient in wet and dry conditions
- Silica based compound which means more pliability than compounds with little or no silica.
- Great Cornering ability.
A very good performance piece that has a little extra when it comes to sharp corners, but when it comes to traction it doesn’t have as much to offer. Refrain from using in winter as being a performance summer tire means winter performance leaves a lot to be desired, as well as being unsafe.Purchase Tire on Amazon
Top 2 Winter 215 55r16 Tires
1. Continental WINTERCONTACT SI
Continental is a lesser known brand than the likes of Pirelli, but that doesn’t mean they don’t make a fierce competitor. The WinterContact is a tire that uses a compound that’s great for winter. Here’s why.
- Additives to the compound allow for more pliability, which is exactly what you want in lower climates.
- 3 Dimensional snow-biting edges.
- Tread-depth indicator, a great safety feature.
The Winter Contact seems to have an issue when it comes to feedback. There are so many different reviews with drastically differing opinions, so be wary which ones you pay attention to.Purchase Tire on Amazon
2. Michelin X-ICE XI3
Michelin. The big boy of tires. They have a wide reach and if the X-Ice XI2 was anything to go by, then this tire should be top-class.
- Compound allows for firmness at higher temperatures and pliable at lower temperatures.
- Great amount of water evacuation from this tire.
My problem is that I can’t really find any. They’re great for the winter time and if you have to use them when it’s warmer, that firmness at the higher temperatures can be of good use. If using them in higher climates please remember to drive very sensibly.Purchase Tire on Amazon