In this article we’ll be reviewing some of the best tires in a few different fields in 245 40r18 size. This will allow you to decide what you need at what time of year, or whether or not you just want to invest in a real high-quality all-season tire. We’ll be covering 3 of each field, including some run-flats. All-season, summer and winter tires will all be explored and their merits (or demerits) highlighted. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear and Michelin are all making an appearance in today’s review. Let’s see how they measure up to each other in 245/40r18 category.
Top 3 All-Season 245 40r18 Tires
1. Dunlop SP SPORT 01 A/S DSST RUNONFLAT
We start the festivities off with a run-flat from Dunlop. Dunlop mainly gone for safety and function out of their tires, with a few very nice high performance pieces.
- Run-flat tire, with a 50 mile range at 50mph.
- Proficient in wet and dry conditions.
- 100% silica tread. Brilliant for the winter months.
This tire has a lot of go in it and it’s a run-flat with a silica tread for the winter. Some might say this silica tread could reduce its performance in summer. All in all, it’s a good get.Purchase Tire on Amazon
2. Kumho ECSTA PA31
Kumho ECSTA PA31 – 245/40r18 brings a lot to the table, including good value for money thanks to the extended tread-life in comparison to competitors. Kumho seems to be on the rise as far as the quality of their work goes, which is interesting considering the work was pretty great in the first place.
- Responsive handling.
- Proficient in wet and dry conditions
- Long-tread life.
The issue with Kumho is that they’re competing with some very well-known brands. Although it seems to be a good tire as far as performance goes. Definitely worth a try if you’re feeling adventurous.Purchase Tire on Amazon
3. Bridgestone TURANZA EL42 RFT
Bridgestone does have an eye for quality in their work, and it shows with each model of tire. There’s just something about Bridgestone doing a run-flat that excites people. The Turanza looks to be a great tire and is an all-season favorite for drivers who have the right car
- Run-flat, always a place 50 miles at 50mph
- Good reviews from snow drivers
- Good level of water evacuation
Now the big issue with this tire is that they’re made exclusively for certain models. Look to see if they make for your model before buying.Purchase Tire on Amazon
Top 3 Summer 245/40r18 Tires
1. Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A
Now this is a great start to the best summer tire. This beast uses Formula 1 technology for a precision drive. If that’s not cool, I don’t know what is! That being said, let’s talk about the bigger picture.
- F1 technology for a precise driving experience.
- Great traction in wet conditions
- Low noise and a comfortable ride, always a good thing.
The only downside for some might be the price tag that comes attached. But you do get what you pay for and with these tires; you get a lot more than you bargain for.Purchase Tire on Amazon
2. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2
These tires are very high performance. They were designed with performance sports and muscle cars in mind, and if they can deal with the stress from performance muscle, then they’re definitely ones to watch.
- Designed to take the stress of a powerful muscle car.
- Silica-enhanced compound, for a little bit more of pliability
- Incredible traction and handling
- The issue with these tires is that they’re not able for a mix and match with the predecessor tire.
3. Goodyear Eagle NCT5 EMT
Another run-flat, but the other reviews on this one aren’t great. Less than 60% of people would buy these tires again from statistics found online. This means that they aren’t getting much repeat business on these tires. That said, not everyone dislikes them.
The tire can take a lot of heat, there’s a story I’ve read about these tires being able to do long car journeys at decent speeds in the United Arab Emirates. This is quite impressive.
These tires are costly, which likely attributes to the lack of people willing to buy again.Purchase Tire on Amazon
Top Winter 245 40 18 Tire
Michelin PILOT ALPIN PA4
Michelin strikes again. Another tire that seems to get a step closer to the almost impossible winter tire perfection. The Alpin PA4 can be considered a great tire if you live in a very cold environment.
- Very good snow grip. Important for a winter tire.
- Good tread-life, even in harsh winter.
- Proficient with snow, ice, slushy and even slippery roads.
Honestly, I think the only con might be a higher initial cost, but think about it, the extended tread-life will make up for it. Consider it an investment in your car and your safety.Purchase Tire on Amazon